Prominent Charleston lawyer David Aylor died of accidental drug overdose, coroner says

David Aylor, a prominent Charleston attorney who was found dead in his home Jan. 2, died of an accidental drug overdose, according to the Charleston County Coroner’s Office.

Aylor had a mix of drugs in his system, according to Coroner Bobbi O’Neal.

The drugs included fentanyl, a powerful synthetic opioid about 50 times stronger than heroin; diazepam, a benzodiazepine typically prescribed for anxiety; clonazepam, another benzodiazepine; and ethanol, which likely indicates he’d been drinking.

His medical history includes anxiety, sleep apnea, hypertension and migraines, according to a report prepared by the Coroner’s Office, which The Post and Courier filed a Freedom of Information Act request for soon after Aylor’s death. But the report doesn’t indicate whether he was taking any prescriptions, nor did it say how much of each drug was present

Even trace amounts of fentanyl can be fatal. The man-made powder is often laced with other drugs to increase potency of the “high.” Authorities say increasingly fentanyl is being found in drugs, often times unbeknownst to those taking them or those selling them.