Full Job Description
- Non-ongoing – 18 month opportunity
- Part-time – working 4pm – 8pm Monday to Friday
- Provide a valued service to departmental lawyers across Australia
An opportunity exists for a Librarian to join our Library Services Team in the Canberra, Melbourne or Sydney office on a non-ongoing 18 month contract. Future opportunities for ongoing employment may be considered, depending on business requirements.
The Library Services Team is seeking applications from Librarians with significant experience in the provision of legal research. This role will be responsible for providing complex and specialist library and information services.
Australian Government Solicitor (AGS) is the Australian Government’s central legal practice and part of the Attorney-General’s Department. AGS helps Commonwealth clients to manage legal issues, navigate new challenges and find solutions which deliver the best outcomes for Australia. We are a self-funded legal practice and compete for our work.
AGS is unique. AGS is dedicated to the national interest and is a trusted advisor to Government.
AGS is innovative. Drawing on an exceptional depth of experience and expertise, we assist the Australian Government in the development and implementation of solutions to legal issues that have national importance.
AGS is diverse. With offices in every capital city and a team of 650 staff, including 400 lawyers, we work in more than 40 different areas of law related to government.
About the role
The Library Services Team provides a highly valued service for legal research and resources to the lawyers and officers across the whole of the Attorney-General’s Department. This role may be based in Melbourne, Canberra or Sydney and will involve delivering high level, customer focused library services to AGS and department clients. You will be expected to efficiently and comprehensively manage reference enquiries in response to client requests.
- contribute to the delivery of a high quality and timely national legal research service using a reference management system (RefTracker)
- provide responses to requests for information of a specialised nature, by researching, analysing, evaluating and organising information to meet the needs of individual clients
- support and coach other team members to achieve excellent library service delivery nationally
- take on other tasks involving a broad range of law library and administrative functions including support to a national library team
- maintain library policies and procedures
- contribute to the ongoing development and maintenance of the library collection including cataloguing.
This role is a part time position working 4 hours per day, Monday to Friday from 4 pm – 8 pm. While this non-ongoing role is for a term of 18 months only, future opportunities for ongoing employment may be considered, depending on business requirements.
For further information about the requirements of this role, please refer to the role description available below.
Candidates for this position should have:
- a minimum of 5 years’ experience conducting significant legal reference and research in a legal focused environment
- high level knowledge of legal materials and their use
- demonstrated ability in the use of:
o legal resources
o library technology and library data management
- a willingness to take responsibility for tasks and work independently
- a team-oriented attitude and a collaborative approach to cross-team development
- highly developed written and oral communication skills
- relevant tertiary qualifications in library studies / information management.
To apply you must be an Australian Citizen and be willing to obtain and maintain a security clearance at the Baseline level.
To apply, please visit our recruitment career website http://www.ags.gov.au/employment/current-vacancies.html for details and ensure that you upload a 1-2 page cover letter along with a copy of your CV. Applications close on Sunday, 3 July 2022. Late applications may be considered with prior agreement from Cath Maurer whose contact details are below.
Further information can be obtained by contacting Cath Maurer, Human Resources Business Partner on 02 6253 7523 or Catherine.firstname.lastname@example.org or Kate Abbott, Library Manager, Sydney on 02 9581 7611 or email@example.com