Full Job Description
- Part time 3 days per week
- Based in either Sydney, Melbourne or Canberra
- Supportive environment
Maddocks is committed to making a difference for our clients, our people and the communities in which we operate.
Our support staff are pivotal to our success. They work closely with our lawyers to help deliver an outstanding level service to our Australian and international clients.
About the role
We have a great opportunity for an experienced Research Librarian to join our Library & Research services team in a part time capacity, 3 days per week. Working as part of the wider Information Technology & Knowledge team, your primary responsibility will be to provide a high level of library and legal research assistance to our internal clients ranging from Graduate lawyers to Partners.
This role offers plenty of variety with duties including:
- Performing both simple and complex legal and business research tasks using electronic and manual research tools
- Preparing and presenting various legal research training materials and programs, including graduate and clerk research training programs
- Providing market, industry and sector analysis reports to support firm and sector initiatives
- Assist in the management, maintenance and curation of knowledge databases and tools
- Perform accessioning, cataloguing, filing, loose-leaf filing and updating of circulation records within the library management system
- Participation in national library projects and activities
We work flexibly at Maddocks, weather that is place of work, the leave you take or the everyday flexibility that we all need from time to time. We welcome the opportunity to talk to you about working flexibly.
You will bring enthusiasm and energy to the role, met by your confidence in your ability to build relationships quickly across all levels within the business. A strong attention to detail, exceptional organisational skills and excellent verbal & written communication skills are all necessary skills to see you thrive in this role.
Furthermore, the successful candidate will also have the following:
- Minimum two years’ experience providing library and research services preferably in a legal/ business environment
- Tertiary qualification in Librarianship, and eligibility for Associate (professional) membership of the Australian Library Information Association is desirable and highly regarded
- A thorough understanding of research methodologies, together with the ability to analyse complex information requests
- Experience using a variety of software applications including Library Systems (FIRST Library Management Systems is desirable), Research databases, Microsoft Office 365 applications, information/records management systems and databases to process, store, retrieve and report information
- Experience in developing and presenting training programs in efficient research methods
- Attention to detail and exceptional organisational skills
We are a proudly independent Australian law firm that works closely with corporations, businesses and governments throughout Australia and internationally. We have a particular focus on the built environment, education, government, healthcare and technology sectors.
What makes us unique
We understand that our people are our greatest asset and we invest heavily in attracting and retaining the best. We value collaboration, knowledge sharing and high standards of professionalism. We look for diversity of experience and background and then provide the tools and training for career success.
We are proud leaders of the legal profession when it comes to promoting a diverse workforce. We have been an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality by the Workforce Gender Equality Agency every year since 2004. We promote diversity internally through our Maddocks Women and Maddocks Pride groups and we are committed to sustainability, through our membership of the Australian Legal Sector Alliance (AusLSA).
We prefer to deal with you directly. . For further information, please refer to our website www.maddocks.com.au
As part of the recruitment process we request that the preferred applicant participates in a National Police Check, prior to offer of employment at Maddocks. Please note that people with criminal records are not automatically barred from applying for this position and each application will be considered on its merits.
At Maddocks, we are committed to providing a safe environment for all staff and clients and have a COVID-safe policy in place.
To be eligible for this role you must be legally permitted to work in Australia. Please note that unsolicited applications from agencies will not be considered at this time.