At Oxford University Press we have a clear mission which informs everything we do—to create the highest quality academic and educational resources and services and to make them available across the world. It is our mission to further the University’s objective of excellence in research, scholarship, and education by publishing worldwide. We share the University’s uncompromising standards and belief in the transformative power of education to inspire progress and realize human potential. The Press is rapidly shifting to digital publishing in all areas, increasing accessibility to our products and services, and improve educational and research outcomes.
More about OUP
Make Your Mark, a career with impact
About the role
The ideal candidate will manage and develop a high value portfolio of society contracts, including at least one highly complex contract covering several journals, to a degree of excellence that enhances OUP’s standing in the learned society and publishing landscape, and contributes strategically to the global journals program.
- Renew society contracts with maximum financial contribution to OUP. Lead pre-emptive renewals and responses to RFPs to retain contracts for high quality society-owned journals including developing the business plans for approval and writing and presenting detailed proposals that appeal strategically to society clients, in liaison with the Publishing Director.
- Lead the response to RFPs for new potential high value society business in subject areas identified for content growth.
- With data driven analysis
- High quality written proposals
- Persuasive presentations
- Commercially intelligent financial arrangements
- In full agreement with OUP legal and compliance requirements
- In accordance with OUPs risk appetite and strategic priorities.
- Negotiate successful, consistent contractual terms with society partners that align with OUP strategic priorities and risk appetite, ensuring full compliance with approval processes.
- Ensure adherence to contractual terms for all journals in the portfolio.
- Present for approval, and launch new open access journals with society partners, after undertaking necessary qualitative research and detailed financial modelling. Work with the open access group to maximize the impact and strong growth of new titles through strategic development and management.
- Work collaboratively and productively with other functional groups (especially production, marketing, digital) to deliver an excellent service for society partners. Communicate changes in the journals publishing landscape and society needs to assist strategic decision making in other functional groups.
- Manage a list of journals to ensure journal, departmental, and divisional targets (including revenue, quality, and profitability) are achieved. Collaborate with Editors and journal owners to publish high quality content in maximum suitable volume to increase market share of articles.
- Work with finance colleagues to ensure maximum long and short term profitability of the journal list, including management of costs. Initiate remedial actions and negotiations where necessary.
- Lead the transition process for newly acquired titles in your area of expertise ensuring a methodological approach, coordination with other departments, including the transitions team, and keeping society clients fully informed on what to expect at each stage.
- Create and present Editorial Development plans to society partners and editorial boards in the context of developments in the journals landscape. Provide relevant data to inform editorial decision making and enhance OUP’s reputation as a strategic partner.
- Help develop and roll out OUP journal policies across the portfolio.
- Work with the Publishing Director and/or Operations Director to identify and implement priority projects that scale across the journals programme.
- Significant publishing or transferable professional experience
- Strong understanding of academic publishing, including editorial processes, production processes, marketing, digital
- Track record of successful relationship management and consulting with clients on strategy
- Strong understanding of industry trends, systems, competitors, and technology
- Outstanding communication skills and the ability to influence, persuade, and negotiate with both internal and external parties.
- Analytical and forecasting ability to review trends and align development appropriately
- Strong entrepreneurial skills
- Ability to mentor and train team members in production tasks
GJC Level: M7 (for internal purposes only)
We are committed to supporting diversity in our workforce and ensuring an inclusive environment where all individuals can thrive. We seek to employ a workforce representative of the markets that we serve and encourage applications from all.