Can I bring my unmarried partner to the UK?

The Unmarried Partner Visa, popularly known as the UK defacto visa, is an immigration type that allows an unmarried partner to either enter or remain in the United Kingdom. However, the determining factor is that the unwed partner must be in a relationship with a person who is present or settled in the UK.

“Settled in the UK” means that you’re the country’s ordinary resident and have no immigration restrictions imposed upon yourself on the length of your stay.

The Visa holds application to both same-sex relationships and heterosexual relationships provided you prove that you have a subsisting relationship. Also, it must be in existence for two or more years.

Now that you’re keen on bringing your unwed partner to the UK, you’ll have to meet specific eligibility requirements. Yes, to qualify for a Defacto Visa (Unmarried Partner Visa), you must satisfy the following criteria:

  1. Both you and your partner must be 18 years of age or above.
  2. Both of you must show the intent of living together permanently.
  3. You must have evidence that the previous relationship you were involved in, whether married or unwed, has come to an end.
  4. Prove that you have been living with your partner for at least two years, and the loving relationship is similar to marriage. Know that the evidence must be documentary for showing the confirmation for this.
  5. The couple must have funds to support their living and dependants’ living if any. Also, you won’t require the claiming of public funds.
  6. Your settled partner must be earning an amount per annum as specified by the legal authorities or have adequate savings to sponsor you. If there is a sponsorship required for dependents, know that the financial requirements will increase, and you should have funds to support the increase.
  7. There must be an availability of suitable accommodation, where you, your unwed partner, and dependents can reside without any obstacles.
  8. You must meet the English Language requirements.


How can I apply for UK Visa or a same-sex partner visa?

The couple can apply for a partner by post or through a requisite online service portal based on their circumstances. Just make sure to fill the extensive application form to the best of your abilities. Also, ensure to send your supporting documents properly. You can also consult a UK Immigration lawyer as he/she will aid your visa application process to unexceptional levels. Having an expert hand is necessary because of the alarmingly tricky application process and high refusals rates. The primary purpose is to remove the stress and eliminate the refusal risk as much as possible.


The top-notch lawyers collate the requisite documents and fill the application form correctly since the main reason for refusals is missing documents or form mistakes. Thus, investing in them ensures you have a sigh of relief that your unwed partner visa has the likelihood of being successful.


What benefits does applying for an unmarried partner visa come to? 

The benefits of obtaining a same-sex partner visa or visa have manifold advantages.

  1. The unwed partner can have a valid visa for 33 months, extending for another 30 months.
  2. The visa holder can apply for indefinite leave to remain (ILR) after five years, provided they hold the eligibility requirements.
  3. They can apply for British citizenship after one year of acquiring the ILR/ settlement.



The Bottom Line

Acquiring an Unmarried Partner Visa becomes pretty easy when you have an expert shoulder to rely on. When you work with experienced immigration lawyers, you have a sigh of relief that your application is filled correctly and the documentation is done in a competent and timely manner. Plus, a smooth visa process is not to mention!





If you would like to receive the House of Butter newsletter click here - Join Now

Search all USA Case Law for Free

The Anylaw Library Covers All State & Federal Appellate Court Decisions From Inception Of When States Joined The Union

Thousands Of New Cases Added Daily

Comparable to Lexis / Westlaw But Free!!