Job Title: Acquisitions Editor
Job Family: Publishing
Reports To (title): Editor-in-Chief or VP, Publisher
Direct Reports: No
West Academic Publishing is the leading publisher of casebooks, study aids and other legal education materials in the US. West Academic Publishing provides its products under the West Academic, Foundation Press and Gilbert imprints. We are a growth oriented organization, dedicated to providing our current and prospective customers with the best available legal education materials.
The Acquisition Editor will assist in acquiring new print and digital content, arranging for revisions of existing titles, ensuring timely manuscript delivery, coordinating production of titles under contract and marketing forthcoming publications.
This position is responsible for understanding and complying with West Academic Publishing internal controls.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Acquire new print and digital products: solicit manuscripts, review proposals, perform market research, negotiate contracts and assist authors in content development. (25%)
- Ensure updates of backlist of approximately 500 published titles through supplementation and timely publication of new editions. (20%)
- Ensure manuscripts are received and produced consistent with publishing plan objectives by maintaining constant communication with authors and production staff both prior to and during manuscript production. (25%)
- Work with authors and marketing team on promotional pieces for law school products. (15%)
- Educate Account Managers on features and attributes of products. (15%)
Required Minimum Education and/or Experience:
- JD required
- Experience in legal education, academic publishing, editorial or related business experience preferred but not required.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills, high level of professionalism and poise required.
- Strong writing and analytical skills
- Exceptional editorial judgment and attention to detail
- Ability to interpret, analyze, organize and communicate complex legal material
- Ability to communicate appropriately and effectively with all contacts, both in and outside West Academic
- Interest in legal academia and/or academic technology.
- Must be able to perform well both independently and in a team setting.
- Some travel required (25-30% during academic year).
Hybrid or remote office environment.